Friday, January 1, 2016

Social Artist, Civil Information Activist Doug Brinkman



January 25, 2016 - First Fire and Rain painting
Painted next to the ice rink by Edmonton City Hall

I started expressing my creative self as a toddler with crayons on my parents' basement walls and inside the pages of my grandfather's leather-bound encyclopedia collection. So my parents began to supply me with a steady stream of paper and pencils with which to draw and expand my creativity. In secondary school I studied commercial art and printing, and took extra courses to learn photography and produce short video features. In my twenties I learned to fly, earning a private pilot's licence, and moved to Edmonton from Toronto. In my 40s I hiked the West Coast Trail 3 times and one time to the Rose Spit on Haida Gwaii . In Edmonton I continued a career as a graphic arts craftsman, first for the Edmonton Sun (Photo) and finally with the Edmonton Journal for 27 years (Video). I was involved as a volunteer with community theatre, painting sets and doing public relations for Walterdale Playhouse Theatre. In 2007 I became a Civil Information Activist and began publishing Citizen Free News stories on YouTube, posters and leaflets. Today I continue practicing social artistry as a full-time artist and citizen news activist combining art with the news stories I publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment