Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Second Verbal Ban on Art Prompts Second Picket

"Art on the Alberta Legislature grounds is inappropriate!"- Sergeant-at-Arms, Brian Hodgson


June 14, 2016 - After today’s noon hour outdoor art show at the Legislature I was confronted by the Sergeant-at-Arms who said my showing art on the Alberta Legislature grounds was inappropriate and that I would have to stop. He also criticized the work I do as a citizen news reporter publishing news stories on YouTube. For a second time this year, I was told by an official of the Alberta Legislature that I could not freely express my art on the grounds of the Alberta Legislature. ​I launched my second picket.

The Poet & Judge, We First Nations, Métis and Inuit, March 30, 2015 
June 15, 2016:This painting was briefly added to the Fire and Rain art project in February and later in June and July to picket the Alberta Government. I defended my right to freely express art on the Alberta Legislature grounds. The July picket only lasted 3 days and ended when a Sheriff intervened during my picket on the steps of the Alberta Legislature and said that I already had a written agreement that allows me to freely paint and show art on the grounds, from a Ministry of Infrastructure official in March of this year. I ended my picket and returned to doing art shows on the grounds. The sheriffs, to whom I am grateful, had intervened twice during the 3 times I picketed the Alberta Government and have been friendly and courteous each time I'm around painting or showing my art freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment